[sword-devel] Titles and other Inter-verse material

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 23 07:09:23 MST 2012

Peter's considered response has real merit. I echo those sentiments.

Our module making process is over-complicated, ill-defined and prone to
making some things unattainable.
e.g. Even when titles and other preverse material gets placed correctly, we
often see widowed verse tags.

To chip in with one additional observation, to add to DM's list of bullet
points....

Our esteemed friend who developed *xulsword* abandoned the use of line group
and line elements for poetry.
He came to the conclusion that where chunks of poetry start and finish is
often ill-defined in the texts that we receive, even when they are made
using UBS Paratext.

Couple that with the fact that there are some XML elements disallowed within
OSIS line elements,
(titles for example), then the task of correctly placing these elements can
be insurmountable.

He therefore introduced a new OSIS element <milestone type="x-p-indent" />

It's used to provide a poetry indentation as an alternative to using line
elements with level attributes.
Currently, deeper indents are created by two or three <milestone
type="x-p-indent" /> elements in series.

By foregoing the use of line group and line elements, he's able to make
xulsword display poetry pretty nigh perfectly,
and at the same time to ensure that related preverse titles do not end up
having verse tags, etc.

His method makes much more use of the simple line break element <lb /> than
most of our own modules.

IMHO, it would make good sense for the SWORD trunk to adopt his code to
support this alternative method.
As you know, xulsword is still a branch from SWORD, albeit now very much
closer to SWORD than when he first began developing Bible software for IBT.

Yours in Christ's service,

David Haslam