[sword-devel] Question about use of note elements

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Jul 20 14:14:18 MST 2012

On 07/20/2012 12:48 PM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> However, this idea of in line notes was from the OSIS Manual which
> says "It is customary to include the notes directly within the text,
> at the point to which they apply", so I was trying not to fight the
> standard in my understanding - go with the flow type of deal.  I don't
> think module developers should influence note placement, even if I
> think they should be able to influence presentation of 'note markers'
> such as superscripts.

I see. What the OSIS manual is referring to is encoding the notes
inline. So you put the whole note within the XML document at the
location where it logically occurs (or where you want the footnote
marker to be).

Where it is rendered is determined by the application. In theory, we
could obey the placement attribute, which has values like 'inline',
'foot', and 'right', to determine where to place the footnote text
itself in the rendered document. But, personally, I see those as
pertaining primarily to printed works, so I'm quite satisfied to leave
placement decisions to the application author. As an end-user, I prefer
the practice of rendering note text in a separate window, as in Xiphos &
PocketSword, among others.

--Chris