[sword-devel] Question about Module Names, conf files, OSIS.xml (and fonts)

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Fri Jul 20 14:04:35 MST 2012

Andrew Thule <thulester at gmail.com> writes:
> Karl, fonts 'appear' rendered differently in the main window (large
> upper right where bible text appears) and not rendered at all (in
> windows) in the pane immediately to the left (upper left above the
> previewer pane), which I understand (perhaps incorrectly) pulls some
> info from the .conf file.
>
> In the 'module pane' upper left where you select modules, the
> Inuktitut font is not being found/rendered.  I'm getting those obtuse
> UTF8 boxes you get when fonts appear to be missing.

Oh, that.  Now I understand.  You mean the language names in the module
selection tree itself.

Yes, Inuktitut is a problematic font.

This is a Windows-centric problem.  We have no knowledge of where
Windows as a whole, or GTK-under-Windows (one of the several display
toolkits Xiphos must use), finds its idea of default application font.
Surprisingly to me, Windows seems the most crippled as to font awareness
when compared to any UNIX or Linux system, which invariably in my
experience are perfectly capable of handling such fonts.  When my Linux
system first wants to display a new font, GTK-driven programs pop a
dialog to ask if they should go hunt it down.  If someone knows how to
handle such problems in Windows, I'm sure we'd all appreciate the
education.