[sword-devel] Question about use of note elements

Andrew Thule thulester at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 12:48:01 MST 2012

Karl, Chris, thanks for your responses.

Karl I appreciate your comments because you have removed some of the
mystique of Xiphos' behavior; which I appreciate.  My tool of choice
for personal bible work happens to be Xiphos (which I wish I could get
working in OSX sometimes).  I run it in a VM from Linux (on OSX).

I generally like OSIS because I'm most familiar with it.  As far as I
can tell though it seems static.  I'm not that familiar with ThML.
With respect to Xiphos development, I hope the *n and *x are
eventually scrapped in favour of n="ABCD".  That seems to make sense
to me, and puts influence of superscript presentation somewhat back in
the hands of the module developer.

Chris, the '%2B' is a bug then.  Is there a bug submission process for
Xiphos I can poke?
As far as notes being in line, that isn't actually my preference.  My
preference presentation-wise, if truth be know, I also the Alkitab
method; same windows, off to the side as a column (with nice font and
background to boot).  Having said that, with modules such as NETnotes
it's awful - the notes dominate the bottom of the frame where the
notes exceed the biblical content.  In that sense the Xiphos /
Bibletime approach seem more pragmatic.

However, this idea of in line notes was from the OSIS Manual which
says "It is customary to include the notes directly within the text,
at the point to which they apply", so I was trying not to fight the
standard in my understanding - go with the flow type of deal.  I don't
think module developers should influence note placement, even if I
think they should be able to influence presentation of 'note markers'
such as superscripts.

With respect to having a specific need, I don't think I do as long as
I understand more or less how each client treats notes (slightly)
differently, in denoting and presenting them.  I will likely have to
revisit when it appropriate to use notes and when to do
cross-references.

~Andrew