[sword-devel] Question about Module Names, conf files, OSIS.xml (and fonts)

Andrew Thule thulester at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:43:09 MST 2012

This isn't quit an OSIS question, but it is a Sword Module Question.

I've been working on an Inuktitut Sword Module, and been having some
font/rendering issues, most of which are now solved - but not all.
The last and final 'font' issue seems to be related to how a module is
represented in client software and where it seems to derive the
information from that it uses (I'm talking about the .conf files).

My ink.conf file is listed at bottom of email.

Xiphos behavior:
In the left pane in Xiphos I get:
Biblical Texts -> 'UTF8 missing font filler' (for language name)  ->
INK:Inuktitut Bible in Eastern Arctic Inuktitut

So Xiphos seems to be taking [Module Name]:Description.  I assume the
module name is coming from the .conf file though it could be coming
from osisWork="INK" tag.

For language I'm not sure if it's reading Lang=iu from the conf file
or xml:lang="iu" from the OSIS itself.  The 639-1 code for Inuktitut
is 'iu' according to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes

BibleTime
In the left pane in BibleTIme I get:
Bibles -> iu -> INK

So Bibletime seems to be using either  xml:lang="iu" from the OSIS or
Lang=iu from the .conf file and Module Name from either the osisWork=
tag or the [ModuleName] in the conf file.  (I'm guessing the .conf
file though I could actually test this)

Alkitab
In the left pane in Alkitab I get:
Biblical Texts -> Inuktitut -> INK - Inuktitut Bible in Eastern Arctic Inuktitut

So Alkitab seems to behave similar to Xiphos, excepts gets the English
representation of the language rather than 'UTF8 missing font filler'

Is use of Sword .conf files outline anywhere for developers, besides:
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:conf_Files

I would specifically like to fix the Xiphos font rendering problem for
the module language name, but more generally would like to better
understand where the .conf influences the client verses where the OSIS
tags do.

[INK]
DataPath=./modules/texts/ztext/ink/
ModDrv=zText
BlockType=BOOK
CompressType=ZIP
SwordVersionDate=2010-10-18
SourceType=OSIS
GlobalOptionFilter=OSISFootnotes
GlobalOptionFilter=OSISScripRef
GlobalOptionFilter=OSISHeadings
GlobalOptionFilter=OSISRedLetterWords
OSISqToTick=false
MinimumVersion=1.6.0
Version=0.0.2
History_0.0.2=Changes to the conf file and fixes to specific tags such as notes
History_0.0.1=First working release
History_0.0=First release
Lang=iu
Description=Inuktitut Bible in Eastern Arctic Inuktitut
DistributionLicense=Copyrighted (c)Canadian Bible Society 2012;
permission must be obtained from the copyright holder.
LCSH=defaultReferenceScheme.English
TextSource=WWBS
Encoding=UTF-8
ShortCopyright=Eastern Arctic Inuktitut, (c)Canadian Bible Society 2012
ShortPromo=<a href="http://http://www.biblesociety.ca/">Learn more
about the Canadian Bible Society.</a>
About=This is the Inuktitut Bible (INK) in Eastern Arctic Inuktitut,
(c)Canadian Bible Society 2012
InstallSize=2643238

~Andrew