[sword-devel] OSIS milestones and the attribute n ?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 16 04:15:51 MST 2012

Since Christmas and New Year have come and gone, this seems to have fallen by
the wayside.

Chris wrote,

"This essentially requires including the verse elements in the data of the
Sword module. It's a trivial change that permits later access to the verse
element's attributes (including n) and has zero effect on frontends that
don't understand how to interpret the verse element (or don't want to).

We've included the verse element in the past (maybe 7-8 years ago). Troy and
some of the BibleTime team objected, for reasons they'll have to explain,
since they're not based in any kind of rationality that I will ever
comprehend. Somehow they believe that less information is better than more.
And so the verse elements were removed. "

====

I've been involved in obtaining a number of source texts from various Bible
Agencies. Nearly all the source texts that come to us in Paratext/USFM
format contain some linked verse ranges.  We're not doing a good job of
faithfully reflecting the translators' intentions by discarding this
information.

IMHO, it would be highly desireable to implement this functionality, and to
improve our preprocessing utilities such as usfm2osis.pl such that the
correct verse element attribute n="..." is generated for individual verses
as well as for linked verse ranges.

Will someone rise to the challenge?

(I'm not a C++ programmer, so that rules me out.)

David