[sword-devel] First post (hey everyone, God bless you)

brian brianlovesjesus at perffection.com
Sun Jan 1 01:56:04 MST 2012

Happy New Years!
    The website said to just dive in and say hello, I am happy to be
starting out in  working with Sword. I just wanted to give a short
introduction. I live in Guatemala, and I started out with computer game
programming about 20+ years ago, started professionally with web dev
about 13 years ago. I went to college in Oregon and it became a big
trial but the Lord used it to bring me to Him, now I am forever grateful
(praise Him) and hoping to contribute in some way using any ability for
his kingdom (whether it be programming or more direct ministry or
anything He sets me to do).
    With Sword, I wasn't able to gather that much off the website. I am
interested in knowing more about the status of the sword program,  who I
should be in touch with and where help could most be used. Looking over
the help needed section, creating tools to aid in bible translation
seemed neat and useful (though I would be willing to look into
anything). I have experience in C/C++/C#/Java and others but  most of my
programming has been in Ruby/Rails over the past few years. I could work
with pretty much any language given a bit of time. I just started
writing (praise God) a gem to integrate the SVN code into Ruby with
SWIG. You can try it out (alpha++) with 'gem install rsword --pre' or
view some of the changes at https://github.com/brianlovesjesus/rsword .
I am working on making it more flexible right now but I wanted to get
something out there to start working with the lib somehow. I'd be
interested in contributing in other ways too, maybe making a way to
crunch data with hadoop (again a learning experience), or helping to
document the conversations/status of the project, or if you all know of
other projects. If any of you want to see an outdated website of my work
on computers you can go to http://www.briancowan.net
   Other than that, please let me know anything about you guys, and
maybe etiquette about chatting about God on this newsletter. Do you all
get together from time to time? Are there any prayer circles? I'd like
to know more about doing ministry over the web, if anyone is involved
with that. I hope you all have a wonderful year, full of revelation and
sound doctrine, prudence and wisdom, and above all: Jesus' faith, Love
and His presence. Thanks to all of you who have worked hard on making
this a program a useful reality, praise God
   Jesus loves you! God bless
   -brian cowan