[sword-devel] Which is preferred in OSIS Bibles? bookGroup or x-testament?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:32:24 MST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> The issues, if I can remember correctly, are deeper than the utility
> mod2osis, and adding lots of checks in mod2osis to account for all the other
> issues is only putting a bandaide on the problem.
>
> mod2osis should be a very simply utility.  It's logic should be:
>
> set output format to OSIS
> grab requested module
>
> dump a header from .conf data
>
> output module intro if necessary
>
> loop through all entries of the module {
>  output book intro if necessary
>  output book <div ...> if necessary
>  output chapter intro if necessary
>  output <chapter...> if necessary
>  output <verse ...>
>  output entry content
> }
>
> output footer

I had this working flawless for OSIS modules (again, provided the
module had been valid when imported). No, it didn't work completely
for ThML or GBF or other types of modules, but it worked. I even had
it working great for both those modules with AND without the excess
content - all I needed to do was properly parse the output of the
testament header where the import SVN value was stored for osis2mod
imported content. That logic is not difficult, to be sure, it just
never was implemented.

And, of course, my patch that even made OSIS content reasonably
well-formed for the vast majority of our modules was never landed, nor
was I given permission to land it myself.

That is the only reason mod2osis is "abandon-ware".

Yes, to be fully compatible with our entire module set would require
expansion of the GBF and ThML filters. But that's not addressing the
basic |: osis2mod -> mod2osis :| process (pardon the musical notation
for repeat there). That worked with my patch. Flawlessly.

--Greg