[sword-devel] proposed patch: adding n=X marker content to footnotes and xrefs

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 11 15:20:26 MST 2012

Well, I listed my downsides in my last message.  I don't like looking
for the corresponding letter reference on the page, as showing the
letter reference implies that you need to find the corresponding letter.

A downside of citing is our labels is that we only have about 2 modules
that contain provided labels, of which I am aware.

All other modules, if we display a label, are labels generated by our
frontend software how they please.

These labels:
a) sometimes are not even regenerated to the same label in the same
software, if the verse is at a different place in the display range.
For example verse 3 might have different labels if display in range:

John 1:1-5
against
John 1:3-5

b) are certainly not generated in any standard way across different
software packages.

Again, I am not arguing against displaying publisher provided labels.

I am arguing against forcing all frontends to display publisher provided
labels.

As a user, I don't like them.  As a scholar I would reference:
Document, Work, "Footnote concerning <catch word>"

I wouldn't count on the publisher retaining the same footnote numbers
across different editions.  I would bet hard cash that a big letter
Bible has different footnote numbering than a standard letter Bible.

Troy