[sword-devel] proposed patch: adding n=X marker content to footnotes and xrefs

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 11 10:43:01 MST 2012

Er, sorry about that.  I was writing 2 emails at the same time and
tacked the end of one to the middle of this one and sent this one off... :)

continuing....

On 02/11/2012 06:25 PM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Dear Greg,
>
> I respect your opinion, but... you're wrong ;)
>
> None of the arguments given are persuasive to me.
>
> 1) footnote are for external reference.
>
> This cannot be true if the software application always starts with
> generating their own footnotes at the start of the text.
>
> For example. If I ask to see John.1.1-7 and footnotes are labeled A, B,
> C, D, E, F, G
>
> Then I ask to see John.1.2-8 and footnotes read A, B, C, D, E, F, G...
>
> as with every online software I've seen which supplies independent
> footnote labels for the NASB, this means that the software is NOT using
> the supplied labels, but generating their own.

The only software I could find which actual retains labels for any text
was bible.org showing their NET bible-- which is the same exception I
quoted in previous reply on this thread.

2) publisher's wishes.

I do not presume to think that Lockman wants us to display their labels
when displaying their text digitally.  In fact, I would bet that if you
ask them, they wouldn't care one way or another.  They probably encode
their text with labels because they need them when they go to print.

*) other things.

I don't personally think I know how a module should be displayed.  I
know how I WOULD WANT a module displayed TO ME as a user of software,
and when I write software, this is how I tend to write it.

Every time I see a unique letter or number label next to a footnote, I
immediately start scanning the page to the find the counterpart
explanation!  This is a jerk reaction from reading print (which I still
do quite often).  But when I see a symbol marking a hover-over help, I
immediately know I should hover to find the body of the footnote.

And I still disagree with you that module author wish to retain their
own style (or should want to retain their own style).  I hear from
module publisher that they simply want their content presented
professionally and represents their intention for the content.  None
have ever tried to dictate to me specific visual attributes they need
attached to content.  Think of all the other attributes a print
publisher attaches to content: 2 column, center-row footnotes, page
content start and end summary lines at the top.  We write software where
these things don't make sense.  I would tend to place footnote labels in
this bucket.  I understand why others disagree with me.  I want to give
us both the ability to display things how we think best.

Hope this makes sense, and you know I tell you that you're wrong all the
time because I love you ;)

Troy