[sword-devel] OSIS XML file for the AraSVD module?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 11 00:51:12 MST 2012

On 2/10/2012 7:45 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> Someone has enquired through the Go Bible Forum about the availability of the
> OSIS XML source text for the Arabic SVD module.
>
> If someone could provide a link, I'll be able to help them further.
>
> As the original translation was published in 1865, in what sense is this now
> a copyrighted work?
>
> Surely it cannot because of additional features such as headings, notes and
> cross-references, seeing as there are no corresponding OSIS filters
> specified in the .conf file!
>
> By what strange legal device does a public domain literary work become
> copyrighted?

The vocalization is the copyrighted portion. The layout might be as
well, I'm not sure.

A public domain text, based on our former module, can be downloaded from
Unbound Bible in their format (cf.
http://unbound.biola.edu/index.cfm?method=downloads.showDownloadMain).
We won't be making our OSIS source of the copyrighted text available.

--Chris