[sword-devel] New public git mirror of Sword SVN trunk and why

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Tue Dec 18 01:38:39 MST 2012

On 18.12.2012 07:11, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> I have been following the discussion on the SFTP patch and hadn't
> seen it come to a conclusion yet regarding what might be necessary
> to detect SSL support in cURL. I don't feel I've been negligent
> with this.

How about allowing any custom transports layers to used via the
library interface?

> I have no sympathy and honestly think the email Jaak sent was
> rebellious by nature, having never had a patch submitted by Jaak,
> nor any recent complaint or correspondence, along with the
> accusation of issues with "code quality" being the reason for the
> fork.
>
> I take the criticism I deserve, but none of your valid criticisms
> have anything to do with the original thread.

My original post was partly because of the discontent I've seen in the
developer community, and only partly because of my own frustration.
But I still think I needed to pop these things up for discussion.

> Regarding release schedules, our private email conversation, Karl,
> were productive and I thought I had outlined a plan to you. I
> accept the accusation of a deficiency in release times. I tend to
> be a perfectionist and want to get everything in that I know is
> pending before a release, we keep SVN very stable-- worst case,
> packagers already apply patches to our releases and can easily
> release a distro package from HEAD if they choose-- but I told you
> I would move forward with a plan to settle with what we have in
> HEAD now and release unless we had warranted pending items from an
> actively developed solution to a problem voiced. I'm not sure why
> the public criticism now, but accepted.

For each major release we at BibleTime start a new stable branch. For
example, 2.9.0 gets a stable-2.9 branch. Meanwhile development
continues on the master branch. Occasionally commits from the master
branch and other fixes are backported to the stable branch. Versions
2.9.1, 2.9.2 etc only get released from that branch. This keeps stable
stable and the volatile volatile.

> Feel free to publicly vent your frustrations about release
> schedules, but please start a thread that warrants constructive
> conversation rather than the heavily loaded, non-constructive,
> generic insults expressed by a non-contributor which started this
> thread.

I never meant to insult You in any way. If You feel that way, I
apologize for my poor choice of words and the deficient amount of time
I have been able to pour into writing these letters.

I and others have just expressed our problems and feelings of
frustration with the current state of things and our eagerness for
certain changes (to ease our frustration and fix some problems). My
first letter in this thread I tried to enlighten the audience about
what is going on at BibleTime concerning Sword. I admit that it was
somewhat provocative (highlighting potential threats to the current
project). But it was to provoke some kind of discussion, a process of
healing, and not a quarrel. In case I have failed in archiving this, I
apologize.

We must all keep in mind that we share common goals. We are discussing
these things to try initiate processes to help our projects and the
community. There are issues and I pray that God would help us to solve
these in His love and understanding and in a brotherly fashion.

Sincerely,
Jaak