[sword-devel] New public git mirror of Sword SVN trunk and why

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Mon Dec 17 19:01:27 MST 2012

>  1) writing an alternative backend for BibleTime to replace Sword,

sounds like a lot of work and that time could hopefully be better spent in other ways? :/

>  2) writing a better wrapper around Sword which would hide its
> deficiencies,

Both MacSword/Eloquent & PocketSword use wrappers, but that's simply to wrap the C++ code with an Objective-C++ wrapper in order to get Obj-C++ goodness throughout the apps. ;)

>  3) a combination of 1) and 2) and allow BibleTime to use multiple
> backends,
>  4) forking Sword as a separate project, and

may be a pain for others who are part of the CrossWire community? And add more confusion for would-be developers?
Your own fork that you push the changes back to the official repo might be playing nicer? But that's just my 2 cents... Perhaps along the lines of 5, below?

>  5) embedding a forked version of Sword SVN in the source code of
> BibleTime which would be partly kept up-to-date with the original project.

This is actually something I do with PS, but that's simply cause of not being able to have shared libraries and stuff like that on iOS, so I need to bundle libsword in the app. And so I will have a specific version of SVN in each release of PS. And this simply makes things easier for me. I try to "push" (email diffs to the list) appropriate changes I make back to SVN in order to have as little different between my libsword and the SVN one as possible.