[sword-devel] locales.d submission Inuk: iu.conf & iu-utf8.conf

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Aug 15 01:09:03 MST 2012

On 08/14/2012 09:39 PM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> I've attached two files, iu.conf and iu-utf8.conf for inclusion in
> locales.d.  Please feel free to add them as appropriate.  I would
> appreciate a note once you make a decision one way or the other so I
> can adjust my expectations accordingly.
>
> ~A

I added the iu-utf8.conf file to SVN.

In general, I don't see any value to adding further non-Unicode locales.
I'm happy to be corrected if someone can actually cite a front end that
uses these, but in the case that a front end does not support Unicode, I
highly doubt that it can deal with displaying characters not in CP1251.

In any case, and more to the point, your iu.conf file was just the UTF-8
file with the locale name & encoding name changed. And the encoding it
claimed to use, ISO 8859-10, is a Latin encoding, not a Canadian
syllabics encoding.

If you meant to do a locale for Inuktitut written in Latin, I would
recommend encoding that as UTF-8 in a iu_Latn-utf8.conf file. (And I
think that a very worthy exercise, if some Inuktitut readers are more
comfortable with the Latin writing system.) If a non-Unicode version is
somehow useful, Latin-2 has the only non-ASCII character that I can
determine is needed for Inuktitut (dark l: ł).

--Chris