[sword-devel] Alternate Versification question

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Aug 13 13:57:37 MST 2012

On 08/13/2012 12:10 PM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> Actually this whole business raises another issue.  In the collection
> of modules I've been building up, I've added Dead Sea Scrolls texts as
> OSIS (but have not yet created modules for them, pending working
> though versification issues).
>
> For biblical scrolls, versification isn't so much an issue, since they
> can match which every versification system the module creator selects.
>   For some non-biblical scrolls (such as 11QPs) since they do show up
> in other versification traditions such as the Septuagint, they too can
> be incorporated.   But many of the DJD translations/transliterations
> are non-biblical scrolls, or fall out of typical versification
> systems, though do naturally suggest one based upon where they were
> found.  (i.e all 4Q... scrolls were found in Cave 4 at Qumran, all
> 11Q.. scrolls were found in Cave 11 etc).
>
> What is the recommended approach for all other materials in terms of
> turning them into modules?  (I guess I'm saying - I half expected
> working through the versification system for the LXX and the LXXE
> would have put me in a better position to create a versification
> system for the DSS, but now I'm not sure which way I should go (in
> terms of making a DJD module (Discoveries from the Judea Desert)?

Here's what I would recommend....

If you want to make a Bible module from the biblical material, I would
try to fit the text to a supported versification. I would guess MT is
the closest fit, but that's just a guess.

But for the sectarian and pseudepigraphal texts, the natural solution is
to make a GenBook module. If you're inclined to make one big module with
both biblical & non-biblical material, you can place verse reference
markers within biblical texts to identify their correspondence to
canonical texts. Actually, I would recommend doing the same for the
pseudepigraphal material as well, to the extent you are able.

--Chris