[sword-devel] Alternate Versification question

Andrew Thule thulester at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:23:05 MST 2012

I was making changes to the LXX2012 version - but then quit.  I
decided to instead work on getting out a version with original text.
I've created a versification system based upon an 1857 edition of
Brenton's book (and consulted 2 other versions, including a 1900
edition).  The versification doesn't match the order your text was in,
but don't worry - it seems to take the OSIS and it it in order
correctly - however it is ordered in the OSIS based upon the
versification. (I tried  this on another module).  I've attached a
copy of the versification.

I'm going to continue working on the Brenton version so as to get out
a version with unmodified text.  Then I'll get back to the 2012
version later and update the English.  I found found printing errors
in two of the book I was consulting based upon your text where verses
would simply be followed by text from different chapters.  Your
version of the text seemed 'mostly' correct.  I was able to resolve
these problems (mostly) but not all.  For example:

Your Sirach 30 has 25 verses - the 1857 printed version has 31
Your Sirach 31 has 31 verses - the 1857 printed version has 26 (so
does the 1900)
Your Sirach 32 has 24 verses - the 1857 printed version has 20
Your Sirach 33 has 31 verses - the 1857 printed version has 12
Your Sirach 34 has 26 verses - the 1857 printed version has 31
Your Sirach 35 has 20 verses - the 1857 printed version has 24

I'm convinced the 1857 printed version has typesetting errors because
this is an instance when the verse numbers jumped around and seemed to
pull verses from other chapters (for example I think some of the
verses missing from Sirach 33 in the 1857 printed version show up
elsewhere.  I believe all of there verses are there, but the printed
version simply seems to mixed them in elsewhere.  I've not been able
to find out of the Greek LXX comes in different flavours these
editions could have been made from.

However your 1 Kings 9 missed a bunch of verses (numbering from 1Kings
9:1-14, 26-28) and comparing it to the printed text, I gave your
version an empty [9:15] and relabelled [9:26-28] to [9:16-18] and that
resolved the problem and both texts aligned perfectly.

Even with this change, there's something going on funny about
Sir.31-38 between different printed versions of the text and your
text. Even the 1900 version didn't agree with your text or the 1857
version (though it mostly followed the 1857 version nearly everywhere
else.  Ultimately, I couldn't resolve those issues.  All of the text
is there just in wrong chapters.  For the versification, I went with
your version of the text.. because I figured it would make it easiest
to produce a sword module if I didn't have figure out from the Greek
where the verses were actually suppose to be, and your text 'seemed'
correct to me.  The verses placement seemed to read the most correct.

~A

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson
<kahunapule at mpj.cx> wrote:
> I just implemented a lot of spelling corrections for the LXX2012 (thanks to
> David Haslam), so you might want to grab a fresh copy tomorrow.
>

> On 08/10/2012 03:40 AM, Andrew Thule wrote:
>
> Hmm, 'basons' was in my text too, so perhaps it was an antiquated word
> chosen by Brenton.  Regardless, I'm working with your LXX2012 text, which
> has already had some of the more archaic language improved, so will stick
> with the change.
>
> ~A
>
> On Thursday, August 9, 2012, Andrew Thule wrote:
>>
>> Michael, thanks very much.  I've spell corrected the following words:
>> kindreds to kindred
>> basons to basin
>> dulness to dullness.
>>
>> Otherwise the text looks very good.
>> I've turned it into a sword module, and will keep working on improvements,
>> including comparing it to the text I had.  Let me know and I'll give you FTP
>> details where you can install the modules directly.
>>
>> ~ A
>>
>> On Thursday, August 9, 2012, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, please do feel free to use the text I have posted on eBible.org, if
>>> you like. If you find errors in it, please let me know so that I can correct
>>> them. I have found some by comparing a couple of different sources, but
>>> there may still be a few typos/OCR errors. If you have done some work
>>> preparing text of the Brenton LXX, you might try comparing it to what I
>>> posted to see if there are any errors revealed in that process. This is a
>>> good way to redeem the work you have already done. Proofreading is hard. For
>>> proof of that, try searching for "statue" in some electronic copies of the
>>> ASV (other than the one at http://eBible.org/asv/), and see if it shouldn't
>>> actually be "statute". :-)
>>>
>>> The LXX2012 is a spelling-updated version of the Brenton translation,
>>> with numerous substitutions like "hath"->"has" done.
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>>> Michael