[sword-devel] usfm2osis.py

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Aug 5 02:34:51 MST 2012

On 8/5/2012 12:29 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for the explanation. Nice to "learn something new each day."
> It was new to me, and probably also for Peter.
>
> However, such tag characters have become deprecated in Unicode 5.1 (2008).
>
> See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_control_characters#Language_tags
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_control_characters#Language_tags
>
> David

Yes, absolutely they're deprecated. They're also intended for language
tagging specifically, which is completely different from my use.

The fact that they're deprecated (and were always, frankly, an obscure
corner of Unicode) makes it even more unlikely that we'll somehow
receive data that uses these characters. I would consider it less likely
that we'll see language tags than any given PUA character, and as long
as we don't include the tags in the output, we're in the clear about the
deprecation.

--Chris