[sword-devel] mirrors

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Apr 15 01:01:07 MST 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 21:25 -1000, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:

> Does that make sense?

As a rule I think it makes very little or no sense to spend any effort
on a systematic "anti-censorship" setup, unless this is what you do
professionally. It is simply impossible for a content provider to stay
on top of say, China's or Iran's Great Firewall.

This is separate from making occasionally modules available to a friend
in a "creative" access country.

In my view it is much better to be in a reliable place with a decent
pipe to the net, making it possible for those who want to access us with
creative means (e.g. Tor) to access us, reliably and with minimal fuss.

Once we go down the route of anti-censorship measures (by way of proxy
or mirror), we are in an arms race which we will loose reliably, while
at the same time making access difficult to those with unreliable
information where to find us. People will latch on mirrors and proxies
and end up nowhere when these go down for one reason or another.

Peter