[sword-devel] Websites (was: Video tutorials)

Patrick Zimmermann patrick at zakweb.de
Tue Apr 3 14:44:42 MST 2012

Hello,

the following are mostly random thoughts off the top of my head while browsing
the crosswire.org sites for ten minutes.

I think that thinking about the target groups of the different pages can be
helpful.

The way I understand this, the sword project is effectively a library, thus a
developer tool. So the target audience of /sword are developers. The
introductory text on /sword sort of supports this impression.

The crosswire page tries to show the different projects under the crosswire
umbrella, including the affiliated sword frontends and gobible. So this seems
like an end user page to me. The nice overview of the different applications on
the crosswire main site supports my impression.

I think most problems arise because end users browse /sword. So making this
distinction a lot clearer might be a solution.

A banner in a prominent location: "If you are not a developer go to
crosswire.org" might solve that problem.

Also I would not directly link the "The Sword Project" button to the /sword
site. That makes it hard to understand the relation between the two pages.
Putting a sub page with an introductory text (perhaps the text from the "Home"
tab) will make it clear that there is a separate site that deals specifically
with the sword library.

I think the only link to the wiki (which I think is the part of the website
with the by far most content) is on the FAQ of crosswire.org at the very
bottom. I think putting a link to the wiki on /sword might be a good idea.

Backlinks from /sword to crosswire.org should be prohibited (it's a separate
site if I understood this right). So the FAQ link on /sword should be removed.

Given that /sword is targeted at developers the "Developers" tab should be
removed and the information presented directly on the page.

The "Publishers" tab should go to crosswire.org, since they are no developers
and not interested in a library.

Greetings,
Patrick Zimmermann