[sword-devel] Detecting Problem Characters

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Sep 24 04:59:22 MST 2011

Dear Michael,

We do not copy out of other Bible programmes, but create modules from
source. So, where ever Zefania picked up their text - that is where we
should go too.

Wrt the specific text you describe - if there is no absolute clarity re
its PD status, the usual way we would deal with it is contacting the
last copyright owner and ask them for permission. If this permission is
superfluous, then so be it, it creates at the very least a good
relationship and likely it leads to long term collaboration. While this
might take longer and is more difficult than simply to assume PD status
(and wait until we are challenged), time and again we have profited from
this - by getting better quality texts, by gaining reputation among
genuine copyright owners etc.

Peter