[sword-devel] Pathway, SIL, GoBible and CrossWire

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 09:25:08 MST 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you didn't delve deep enough into the detail of the Distant Shores
> Media blog post?

You've caught me red handed! I simply read the title you assigned it
and assumed I understood what it was talking about. That might prove
slightly more interesting, but it's tough to say for sure. It would
still be limited in the same way epub, PDF and Libre/OpenOffice export
would be (not understanding scripture references natively). I'm not
sure how much it would gain their objectives.

> The *USFMtag* extension to Wikimedia server is /not/ to facilitate further
> editing.
>
> It's to allow USFM content to be pasted "as is" into a wiki page.
> Once saved, the server extension will display the content as /properly
> formated/ Scripture content.
>
> This provides a rapid way to "publish" a USFM Bible (or Bible portion) such
> that even a mobile user (without edit privileges) can view the wiki page for
> that passage with the minimum of preprocessing having been required by the
> translation team.
>
> Once you grasp the concept, it makes a lot of sense.  In fact, it's a
> brilliant concept.

Definitely an excellent concept. I have trouble imagining how I would
use it, but I feel that way about wikis in general. :)

--Greg