[sword-devel] Pathway, SIL, GoBible and CrossWire

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 08:00:49 MST 2011

David,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Did Greg Trihus or anyone else at the Dallas conference happen to mention the
> http://www.dsmedia.org/blog/publishing-usfm-encoded-bible-translations-mobile-phones-instantly
> USFMtag extension  to Wikimedia servers?

During Greg's talk there was no mention of wiki pages. Then again,
there is no interest in allowing wiki-style editing for a scripture
work, so it's not really relevant to the people Pathway is trying to
address. Paratext already includes very powerful features to allow
group collaboration of scripture editing by leveraging the Mercurial
library for file diffing, branching and merging back to the master
copy on the translator's lead. Wikis are not very interesting for the
work Wycliffe is doing in this area.

Additionally I was only there on Tuesday. The conference extended from
Friday through Tuesday, so it's possible someone else discussed wikis
in a different discussion topic.

> This is being developed by a programmer in Indonesia connected with
> http://www.dsmedia.org/ Distant Shores Media  and the
> http://www.dsmedia.org/blog/introducing-door43-mobile-portal Door43 portal .
>
> It would seem to me that there could be a useful synergy between USFMtag and
> the Pathway project.

I'm not sure what useful synergy there would be. Paratext and Pathway
do not support anything remotely like the wiki-style of interactions,
and neither does Paratext use MediaWiki syntax.

> And once it matures, might it be worthwhile to install this extension in the
> server for our Developer's Wiki?

I doubt it. Perhaps if we setup a second wiki for people who want to
produce or create wiki-based Bibles, then it might be useful, but I
doubt it would ever be useful on the Developer's Wiki.

--Greg