[sword-devel] Mid-verse section headings?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sun Oct 2 15:14:27 MST 2011

No, mid-verse headings are not handled at all well in Sword.  Frankly,
the idea of a (modern) editor choosing to insert a heading at such an
exact point is absurd.  We're lucky to get reasonable paragraph
boundaries most of the time at our already-artificial verse boundaries,
and section headings are hardly canonical content -- the idea of
interrupting the train of thought of one of the authors of scripture for
a johnny-come-lately "by the way, here's what I think the next section
is about" is rather rude; I think such editors should be given a good
whack with a clue-by-four as encouragement not to demand such a level of
precision for their personal interpretations of, and insertions into,
the text.

NET is an example of a module that /would/ have such a problem in e.g.
Song 1:4; 5:1,2; 6:13; 8:5, except that they chose to encode the "voice
owner" headings using simple <hi></hi> rather than as actual headings.

I know that NASB (R.I.P.) also had an example or two of mid-verse
headings with certain display problems, at least as seen in Xiphos, but
dredging through my email archives is not coughing up the examples I was
sure I would find.  They're in there somewhere, but ohwell...