[sword-devel] OSIS milestones and the attribute n ?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Nov 12 11:51:15 MST 2011

On 11/12/2011 01:21 PM, David Haslam wrote:
> Thanks DM,
>
> That narrows the field a little. :)
>
> Does that imply that all JSword based front-ends actually use the
> reconstructed attribute *n* ?

No, they are free to do as they wish. Most use Bible Desktop's xslt that
does the work.

> And with your help, perhaps JSword can be improved a little in respect of
> verse ranges?

It is on the list of things to do. There was a report about it again a
couple of days ago.

> The questions I posed earlier today should therefore now focus on the SWORD
> API itself, the import tools such as osis2mod, and preprocessing scripts
> such as usfm2osis.pl

It is a simple change to osis2mod. One of the debug options transforms
the verse tags into milestoned divs.

We've already had enough discussion about it. It is not my decision to
make. Beyond this I've said more than enough.

> Then and only then can SWORD based front-end developers get to grips with
> the potential improvement.

No, it is quite possible without any changes to the engine.

When a verse is retrieved from the module it is by address in the file.
The trick is to know that one is getting the next adjacent verse with
the same address (keeping going until the address changes) and munging
the verse number output of the first verse in the range and not getting
the text for subsequent verses. In an html parallel view it would also
be used to set the rowspan for the cell.

There is support in the SWORD engine to ask whether the next verse is a
linked verse.

-- DM