[sword-devel] Permissions for the New American Bible

Sat Jun 11 14:45:54 MST 2011

On Friday, June 10, 2011 07:27:00 PM Karl Winterling wrote:
> I read http://www.usccb.org/nab/permissions.shtml and I'm going to contact
> nabperm at usccb.org about permission to distribute a paid SWORD module of the
> latest New American Bible (NAB) and the official commentary. I'll ask for
> no DRM and for users to have a license for personal and family use on an
> unlimited number of computers and mobile devices. I'll explain that SWORD
> is an open source project and the whole v11n and canon issues.

All commercial sword modules use a weak form of DRM as they are encrypted and
can only be accessed once the proper unlocking key is provided. As for av11n
and canon issues, these should now be non-issues and are really only a matter
of waiting for critical mass in front-end support for av11n modules to be
released out of beta/experimental repos.

> The NAB is the main US English Bible version authorized for use in private
> study and devotion. The others are the RSV-CE and (I think, but it's not my
> cup of tea) the NRSV, but I know that the National Council of Churches
> doesn't license to open source projects. Does anyone have experience with
> the USCCB in this regard? I could always write to Rome and see what
> happens.

That's a shame that the NCC doesn't work with open-source projects. Did they
ever state why this is? I've always held that open-source/free
culture/whatever is very in tune with the Christian message.