[sword-devel] Russian russynodal (prize for maximum use of negation?)

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Jul 10 02:56:42 MST 2011

On 7/10/2011 12:56 AM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 07/09/2011 10:07 PM, Chris Little wrote:
>
>> Doesn't And Bible not support av11n? If it doesn't, I would not
>

> That's a *lot* of "doesn't" and "not" -- rewriting this with fewer
> negations, for ease of parsing, would be good.  I think you just won a
> prize for maximum use of negation? :)
>
> Jonathan

Negation in English can be used to make speech more indirect and, as a
consequence, is a politeness strategy. Stated more directly/less
politely, I might have said, "I know full well that And Bible doesn't
support av11n, so I would not...." (Of course, even that retains
politeness via use of the subjunctive.) It seems quite apropos to me, in
any case, to use as much negation as possible when the subject is
Russian, where multiple negation has quite distinct semantics from English.

--Chris