[sword-devel] MacSword and Mac AppStore

Manfred Bergmann manfred.bergmann at me.com
Sat Jan 29 06:03:46 MST 2011

Hi Jonathan.

> 	Jonathan Morgan <mailto:jonmmorgan at gmail.com>
> 29. Januar 2011 13:43
>

> Hi Manfred,
>
> Some comments.
>
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Manfred Bergmann
> <manfred.bergmann at me.com <mailto:manfred.bergmann at me.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Guys.
>
>     I think it is relatively unlikely to succeed putting
>     MacSword/Eloquent in the Mac AppStore.
>     The main stumbling blocks are:
>
>     - the module installer:
>     Apple doesn't allow "Apps that download or install additional code
>     or resources to add functionality or change their primary purpose
>     will be rejected"
>
>     - creating the links for the module utilities in /usr/local/bin.
>     For that we aquire admin priviledges via an Apple API but allow
>     doesn't allow that either:
>     "Apps that request escalation to root privileges or use setuid
>     attributes will be rejected"
>

> I'm not sure that you would want the module utilities installed with
> Eloquent anyway (assuming you mean the SWORD command line utilities).
> I suspect the majority of users want to be able to read books other
> people have created, not work on creating their own, so making them
> install the module creation tools seems the wrong thing to do anyway.
Well. The SWORD command line utils come bundled with Eloquent. I thought
it'd be a good idea to give some support to module developers. There are
no precompiled utilities for Mac available elsewhere.
It's not absolutely necessary to create symbolic links to /usr/local/bin
though, or as Nic suggested create a special version which I did anyway
to remove/add the Sparkle updater.

>     - finally Apps are only allowed to create folders in the
>     filesystem that reflect the name of the App. We create a "Sword"
>     folder where the modules are stored.
>     Apple says we do not "comply with the Mac OS X File System
>     documentation".
>

> Is this only top-level directory?  In other words, can you create a
> directory like Eloquent/SWORD?  If so, I'm not sure that I see the
> problem.  If not, I think it's far too over restrictive (it's not at
> all uncommon to create directories like "data" in your apps personal
> configuration directory to organise the files a bit better, and its
> certainly not going to confuse those files with other files).
It is a top-level directory under "~/Application Support" where Eloquent
creates "Eloquent" (which is OK) and "Sword" folder for the modules.
Creating "Eloquent/Sword" would be OK but "Sword" is shared with
BibleDesktop and Alkitab and is the default SWORD module folder.

Manfred