[sword-devel] Module Display Names

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 18:07:24 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Ben Morgan <benpmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What I've used in BPBible in a few places is Name - Description (i.e. ESV
> -
> > English Standard Version). The abbreviation at the start (hopefully)
> means
> > that if the rest is cut of it shouldn't matter too much.
>
> I think this is a good pattern, though I might have switched their
> order myself, or only given the abbreviation if the two Descriptions
> are identical.  I was thinking of a precedence like:
> 1) Description, if present
> 1.1) If Description is not unique, combine with one of the below
> 2) Abbreviation, otherwise
> 3) Name, otherwise
>
> I know that Description is listed as a "Required" element, but if it
> were absent, having fallbacks is a good idea.

I think putting abbreviation first always is nice because it is easier to
scan for (i.e. ESV is much more recognizable than English Standard
Version).  Putting the Abbreviation on the front makes it possible to scan
through a list for it, whereas if the description was first and the
abbreviation at the end it would be much more difficult.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,
    in the valley of decision!