[sword-devel] Bibtex for modules

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Fri Jan 14 12:14:24 MST 2011

On 01/14/2011 12:48 PM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:32:44 -0500
>> Von: DM Smith<dmsmith at crosswire.org>
>> * The construction of a Bibtex entry looks error prone. Having a web
>> page that can construct an entry from input would be good.
> I think I would go one step further - we should have a conf file generator somewhere.
>
> Peter

I think this is an excellent idea! I wish I could write it because it
would make module submission easier.

I wonder, though, if what we need in the conf file is not a record that
would be used in a bibliographic database such as BibTeX but rather what
library catalogs have. If we chose a format that was pretty common
(i.e., that a prominent/visible library uses, such as the U.S. Library
of Congress) then bibliographic software that sucks that information
from websites would support it. That would include everything from
EndNote to Zotero, I would think. I am not sure how open such standards
are or how easy they are to implement, but the input of conf file
entries might be more accurately entered through a web form with files
like Title, Author, Editor, Place of Publication, Publisher, Date of
Publication, etc. If that web form then had a place to upload a source
file (OSIS or whatever) then it would be easier to ensure that conf
files were well-structured and consistent. Just a thought.

Daniel