[sword-devel] Bibtex for modules

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Thu Jan 13 09:57:42 MST 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> Modules really should have bibtex or something similar in their conf
> file. This would improve the use of our library for academic purposes.

Some design questions for you. (Always better to fix bug in design than in
the debug or production phase. Standard software engineering procedures;
the more time spent in design the less time in the debugger.)

a) How does the end user get the bibliographic citation out of the .conf
file for a module?

b) How does an end user reformat a specific citation from obtained from
Sword converted to another format?

c) Why not delegate the bibliographic information to the module provider?
Chris Little mentioned in an email that it would be possible to generate
the bibliographic information on the Crosswire server. Why not leave it
there and the very few people who really need it can grab it from the
server.

d) Why does any mention of Sword (or Crosswire) need to be made for those
modules that have not been through some textual amendation process? In
citing a book, paper, article, or other resource discovered online one
doesn't say "found with Google", or "in a search result from Bing." The
bibliographic information a scholar would require is author(s)/editor(s),
year of publication , edition, place(s) of publication. In the main those
are going to be the original publisher. Crosswire only needs be credited
if copy-editing changes have been made to the text; I contend that
claiming for marking up a module is unecessary.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!