[sword-devel] Bibtex for modules

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Tue Jan 11 10:27:53 MST 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> Modules really should have bibtex or something similar in their conf
> file. This would improve the use of our library for academic purposes.

I don't understand this.

First, I don't understand why a system's internal file format needs to be
changed to accommodate the whimsey and caprice of a particular group.
There is no BibTeX parser within Sword. If any new format for .conf files
were to be proposed, and I'm not arguing that it should, some XMLisation
would be a better choice.

Second, I don't understand what a "library" (in some sense from above)
having to do with the internal workings of Sword has anything to do with
academic acceptance. Unless you mean that academics ought to be persuaded
to use a Sword module over the equvialent encapsulation from from e-Sword
or Accordance.

> We have talked about this a while ago.

I don't recall the discussion. Refresh my memory, please.

> I think we reached some sort of agreement that Bibtex entries should be
> added to the conf file, though beyond the principle we did not move. Nor
> has anyone committed any code.

Are you suggesting that BibTeX entries be embedded within .conf files? In
addition to the existing format of the files?

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!