[sword-devel] Is Delitzsch Hebrew NT available?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Jan 3 23:32:15 MST 2011

On 1/3/2011 2:24 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> On 01/01/11 20:36, Martin Denham wrote:
>> While working on Hebrew bible display in And Bible an Israeli contact
>> asked if the Delitzsch Hebrew NT is available.  I can't see anything
>> in the CrossWire Sword modules nor in the Xiphos module list so I
>> thought I would ask.
>>
>> These are the links I was given regarding the Delitzsch Hebrew NT:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Delitzsch
>> This link states:
>>
>>     "Today Delitzsch is best known for his translation of the New
>>     Testament into Hebrew <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew>.
>>     Delitzsch's translation is still considered the standard New
>>     Testament edition in Hebrew and in its 10th Edition it was revised
>>     by a young Arnold Bogomul Ehrlich
>>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Ehrlich> at Delitzsch's
>>     insistence. This edition was to be utilized for proselytization
>>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proselytization> among Jews. It is
>>     remarkable that these editions were composed before the modern
>>     revival of Hebrew <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew>, but the
>>     translations still remain fresh and alive for readers today."
>>
>> There is a newer version from a few years ago:
>> http://www.הברית-החדשה.com/index.php/habrithachadasha/newtest
>> <http://www.xn----1hchbcbtn8kpag.com/index.php/habrithachadasha/newtest>
>>
>> Thanks
>> Martin
>>

> I think our Modern Hebrew version is just this - at least another poster
> on sword-support complained just today that it is the Frank Delitzsch
> one instead of a really modern one which he would prefer.
>

> Peter

I'll work on the Delitzsch NT. I've got a copy and have been meaning to
process it for a while.

Our current "HebModern" text is not the Delitzsch NT. Conceivably it's
some other edition, but its text differs considerably from the Delitzsch
NT I have. It also includes an OT translation, which Delitzsch didn't
do, so it should be pretty obvious that it isn't Delitzsch's.

--Chris