[sword-devel] Installing new/updated locales like we do for modules?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:23:14 MST 2011

Suggestion:

For mobile front-ends like PocketSword or and-bible, it seems a pity that
the whole application needs to be downloaded after a new or updated locale
has been provided. For improved speed, might it not make better sense that
when this is the only "software change", we could treat the installation of
new/updated locales like we do for modules?

For anyone with a slow connection, this would save time considerably, since
the files containing the localization strings must be a lot smaller than the
download for the whole front-end.

btw. This thought came to me when I observed that PocketSword does not yet
have a localization for Azerbaijani. I have contacts who could help with the
UI translations for this language. It was a delight to be with one during
the past few days.

If my suggestion is deemed attractive for mobile front-ends, then maybe it
could be adopted more universally for all front-ends.

David