[sword-devel] The problem with dictionaries (by David Ker)

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Wed Feb 16 06:50:26 MST 2011

At TExTonline.org we have set up a project for developing a modern
replacement for Strongs using WeSay, and therefore LIFT. I haven't
developed a script to transform the LIFT file into TEI, but that is on
the to-do list when I actually get to working on this seriously.

However, I have realized that WeSay does not yet offer a Mac build, thus
limiting the potential for collaboration. I wonder if a web interface to
edit LIFT or, perhaps even TEI, files would allow for more contributors.
A wiki format would be more familiar, but it is designed to tag for
format not in a way that represents the distinctive elements of
dictionaries, as do LIFT and TEI. I wonder if the SIL folks will ever
move in this direction...

Daniel