[sword-devel] Word of God Bibles in a repo?

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Wed Feb 2 18:37:29 MST 2011

On 28/01/2011, at 3:22 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Nic Carter <niccarter at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Just a quick question for you all . . .  There are a few SWORD modules available from http://www.wordofgod.in that don't seem to be available via our internal InstallManager.  I was wondering if anyone had tried to get them into a repo, or as them if they are interested in setting up their own repo?  Given that we are able to report download statistics on the various modules that people download from CrossWire, we could do that for them if required?
>>
>> Given how easy the core-API guys have made it to install modules within our various front-ends, wouldn't it help their Bibles get more widely used if they were easier to install?  :)
>>

>> Anyway, just a random thought.  I had a guy email me about making a Tamil Bible available for use in PS, and while it's quite possible to manually install a ZIP of a module, it would be much more preferable to allow users to just tap on the Install button in the InstallManager...  ;)
>>

> If the modules are already in a repository, but the repo is just not
> on our central list, you can easily add it to Pocket Sword.  The API
> exposes a mechanism for that, as well.  Back in the dark ages, before
> the centralized list, that's how we got all our entries other than
> CrossWire into our install managers!
>
> As for a ZIP, if it has the conf file and other necessary files, you
> can readily open it up and install out of it.  I believe BPBible
> allows drag-and-drop of module ZIP files?  Pretty sure one of our
> front ends does.

Unfortunately they are only available as a direct download from their website, in ZIP format.  There seems to be a counter of the number of times their Bibles have been downloaded in SWORD format, and it's rather low.  Would be ideal if they were instead added to a repo.
Doubly unfortunately, this year is looking to be extremely busy for me and so I'm unwilling to put my hand up to try and get this happening.  :(

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)