[sword-devel] An update on PocketSword's future.

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Sun Dec 25 19:21:23 MST 2011

Hi team,

Thought I'd share a little about what's coming up with PocketSword in the near future.

Starting in January I'm going to have a new and (hopefully!) exciting job.  As part of the conditions of employment, any code I write is the property of my employer.  This is a little annoying, but I'm ok with it for now.  Prayer for negotiations in the future to do with this would be great!

What this means for PocketSword and CrossWire is that I'm going to finish up a smallish update of PocketSword (v1.4.2, which is pretty much completed) and release that before I start.  This includes little bits and pieces I have been working on, but no new major features.  I had previously allocated January to be a month of solid work on new features, but this job came up and it was hard to pass up.  After that, I am allowed to continue maintaining PS and keep it in the App Store, etc, but I'm not meant to be working on new stuff for it.

How can PocketSword continue on while I'm employed at this place?  Simply, if others contribute code, etc, I can release new versions of PS as required.  If there are new localisations or anything like that, I can update the app.  I'll continue to be on this list, and other support email & forums, and I'll remain active there (well, as active as I am now!).  This isn't the end of my involvement in PS & I'd love to continue being as involved as possible.  :)

Prayer would be appreciated for all of this!
Firstly for negotiations with my employer.  There may be some leeway that can be sorted out in the future, and I'd love to pursue that.
Secondly for others to be taking an interest in helping out with the code in PS.
Thirdly, personally, for transition to a new job and all that entails.  :)

Thanks heaps, and I hope you have all had a great Christmas reflecting on why we all have this excuse for fun times with family and friends :)
ybic
	nic...  :)

ps:  I'm aware that some of you are probably of the opinion that signing a contract that gives your employer ownership of all code you write whether or not it's during work hours and whether or not it's at work is a little (or a LOT) crazy.  It's not as simple as that in this situation, and that's not the full story, and that's kinda why it may be negotiable at a later stage.  But it's a good & fun opportunity for me & I really feel like it's a God-given avenue for me, at least for the near-future.  :)  So I'm willing to put up with that and see where God takes it.  :)

----
Nic Carter
PocketSword Developer - an iOS Bible Study app
www: http://crosswire.org/pocketsword
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/app/Pocketsword/id341046078
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pocketsword