[sword-devel] Rendering added words for languages that don't use italics?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Apr 19 10:10:56 MST 2011

On 04/19/2011 12:00 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
> KJVs used italics. Some English translations use [word]. Some use
> ⌊word⌋. Some ignore the issue completely.  I think we're not dealing
> with a language-level problem here but a translation-level problem.
> Some translators recognize that they are required to provide multiple
> words in some cases for the target language and combine multiple
> source words. And they realize that the average reader will only be
> confused by "Well the word 'is' does not really appear in the
> original, so maybe this meaning is completely wrong," because the
> average reader doesn't know that it was common in the source language
> to omit the word 'is' and other equivalent scenarios.
>
> This issue is really a per-module issue and not a per-language or
> per-frontend issue.
I think it is a renderer issue. The proper way to markup the "added"
text in OSIS is:
<transChange type="added">this is added text</transChange>

This markup is the same whether regardless of the language of the module
or the preference of the publisher/author/translator.

The various renderers convert this into something else. The SWORD OSIS
-> html renderers convert this into <i>this is added text</i>.

In Him,
     DM