[sword-devel] Rendering added words for languages that don't use italics?

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Apr 19 01:24:17 MST 2011

On 19/04/11 09:02, David Haslam wrote:
> So what should front-end applications use for presentational rendering in
> such modules when the Bible translation features added words?
> i.e. In USFM as marked using \add_...\add*

And in OSIS the markup is in a similar way semantic, not presentational.

It only becomes presentational in our output filters where it is
replaced in the osis2htmlhref filter to a <i> for italics IIRC. Not all
frontends of course use the engine supplied filters.

I am wondering what more modern rendering engines do with this markup
with appropriate fonts in scripts like Arabic, Hindic or Chinese. Maybe
this is something already taken care of there?

Alternatively, the more semantic HTML markup of <em> might be useful?

However I turn it though I do think this is/should/could be a rendering
issue at the very last moment - i.e. at screen output time, probably
steered by module or locale supplied CSS sheets. The alternative, if
there is a serious issue - and I would only see this if the translators
complain - then it might be something addressed by an additional output
filter, but this would be hard work as it would require some work in the
engine and potentially some more in the frontends.

> Has there been any previous discussion on this topic?

I do not think so.

Peter