[sword-devel] Differences between SWORD & JSword ?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Sep 30 06:52:38 MST 2010

  On 09/30/2010 04:56 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> Is there a list or table anywhere that describes the significant differences
> (key features implemented or not) between SWORD and JSword?
Not that I'm aware of. JSword takes the approach, for good or for bad,
that the module reading and reference recognition are the key points at
which the two need to be compatible.

Regarding reference recognition, the implementation is different and
there by will have minor differences, typically relating to
abbreviations. JSword does not use SWORD's Bible names files, nor the
ordering that is in them. Rather for disambiguation, it favors NT over
OT and w/in a testament earlier book names rather than later book names.
Thus J will resolve to John.

Regarding modules, it does not support writing of any module or reading
of av11n modules. Otherwise, it is complete, afaik.

> If not, would this be something useful to be added to the developers' wiki ?

I'm not sure that it would be helpful. JSword was started as a port, but
before I got on board, it had become a reimplementation with a different
design.