[sword-devel] Python

Kenneth Arnold kenneth.arnold at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 21:07:58 MST 2010

The primary (and officially supported) way to access SWORD modules
from Python is the SWIG wrappers, located in sword/bindings/swig in
the SWORD source. BPBible uses them (afaik), but there should be some
more self-contained examples...

Not finding any good examples, a few years ago I went off, figured out
the ztext file format, and wrote my own parser in Python. It's the
blog post that shows up when googling "sword python". But I agree with
how Troy responded at the time: this should never be officially
supported or encouraged. While my trivial re-implementation may be
useful for someone wanting to develop new book file formats, my time
would have been better spent improving the official Python API or its
documentation. In short, I'm sorry I didn't write that example code a
long time ago.

-Ken

PS - After posting that work, I wrote: My heart was definitely running
away from God when I was working on this, as I realized right after
getting up from the computer. It's sad how much I can be doing "Godly"
things and have such a stubborn heart. It's why I need a living Savior
... to save me from my "righteousness"! :) And it doesn't help my
battle with my pride and self-directedness to praise my "skills" and
"talent".