[sword-devel] Hyphens in book names

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 29 17:42:32 MST 2010

Robert,

On 9/29/2010 3:57 PM, Robert Hunt wrote:

> Oh! I guess I've been using hyphenated words in English since I learnt
> to write. I unthinkingly used it in the word "work-around" ...

That does not make it a letter.  It just makes it a symbol used during
writing.  Letters are what make up the alphabet.  The "-" in your word
work-around is not part of the English alphabet.  It is not a letter in
English.  It is punctuation.  See the POSIX ispunct() and isalpha()
functions and what they return.  Less formally, when you learned and
recited the alphabet in school, did it include "hyphen"?  I rather doubt
it :)

Jonathan