[sword-devel] Hyphens in book names

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Wed Sep 29 14:08:09 MST 2010

On 09/29/2010 03:55 PM, Robert Hunt wrote:
> New Zealand.
>
> Hello all,
>
>     I am spending today studying the documentation on the Crosswire
> Sword wiki so I'm likely to have a few questions. Please let me know
> if this is not the right forum to ask questions.
>
>     I see in http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:SWORD that
> localised book names are not allowed hyphens in them (because the
> hyphen is used for verse ranges). In the Philippine language that we
> worked with as Bible translators, the hyphen is a letter in the
> alphabet and appears in several book names!
>
>     Is this still a current limitation? If so, what is the suggested
> work-around.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert.

This problem came up with Vietnamese, and I was just told to drop the
hyphens. The result was not ideal, but in the end it is still
comprehensible in Vietnamese. I think the hyphen was needed because
Vietnamese is monosyllabic, but more recent "transliterations" of
foreign names have simply dropped the hyphens. Would the names still be
comprehensible without the hyphen?

Daniel