[sword-devel] HiFi Bible - Web based study tool derived from SWORD

Nick Watts fatalglory at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:52:18 MST 2010

  Announcing - the first Beta release of HiFi Bible.
A web-based bible study and commentary sharing tool derived from the
SWORD project.

The first beta release of HiFi Bible is now available for testing on the
World-Wide-Web, on my personal website, http://resplect.com/hifibible

Full documentation (for administrators and developers), downloads and
source code will be released in the not-too-distant future (when I get
time to finish publishing it all), but for now, the actual running
software is at least available to get a look at.

About HiFi Bible
***************

HiFi Bible started life as a project called WebSWORD.  I was in the
final year of my computer science degree and needed a
software-engineering project to complete as part of my coursework.  The
university's Anglican chaplaincy (UNEchurch a.k.a St. Mark's) agreed to
be my client and commissioned my proposed project around July-August
2009.  I was to create a tool for tertiary level study of the bible,
being sure to implement advanced features, that could be put on the web
and used by students involved in their bible study sessions.

I proposed to implement this tool by writing several small command-line
applications using the SWORD library.  I would then develop the web
application in PHP, which would call these command-line applications,
receive their standard output and do some post-processing before
displaying to the user.  This system was finished in time, I documented
it and submitted it to my lecturer and received my high-distinction for
the unit, as well as my bachelor's degree at the end of the year.

However, there was a problem.  Only mid-way through the development
process did I discover that while this system of calling command line
applications from PHP worked fine on my development system, it would not
install and run properly on shared web-hosting environments.  In effect,
any church or organisation that wanted to use such a tool would have to
purchase more expensive web-hosting plans, like a VPS.  The resources
associated with such plans are huge overkill for a small web-application
like WebSWORD, and so this was somewhat infeasible and hard to justify
financially.  It didn't stop me submitting the project for academic
credit, but in practice it would be a show stopper.  I banged my head
against the wall a few times over all the work that seemed to be going
to waste.

I began wondering if anyone else had worked on a SWORD based
web-application and stumbled across SWORDWeb.  This was a Java based
application that was similar in concept to WebSWORD, but suffered from
the same basic issue of not installing and working easily on shared hosting.

I took a job as a ministry-trainee at the Anglican chaplaincy in 2010,
and continued using WebSWORD on my home computer for all of my own
bible-study preparation, it came out as an excellent tool.  Gradually,
more and more friends started noticing this software I was using over my
shoulder and asking where this website was so they could give it a try.
I became determined not to let this work on WebSWORD go to waste.  And
so I contrived a plan to begin developing again.  I determined to create
an export tool that would read the content of entire SWORD project
modules and dump the content HTML out to SQL files that could be easily
stored in a MySQL database.  Then I would port the back-end
functionality of WebSWORD to access content from the database rather
than from command-line SWORD applications.  By doing this, the software
could be easily installed and configured on any standard XAMP stack and
used on just about any low-end web hosting plan.

After a few months of very busy weekends and lot of empty soft-drink
cans, I was nearly finished the porting process.  Given that SWORDWeb
existed as a similar project, with a similar name, I decided that a name
change was necessary for clarity.  The emphasis of this software in my
mind was to particularly allow easy study of the bible in the original
languages, because I strongly believe that the bible is the inspired
word of God, and needs to be preserved with the utmost faithfulness
(fidelity) for future generations.  Hence the name, HiFi Bible.

The software is released under the GNU GPL version 3 and is distributes
with a collection of public domain modules (since republishing of
copyrighted modules raises a lot of issues, which I will leave with
individual users to deal with, with the particular publishing bodies
relevant to their own intentions), as well as the KJV2003 which
Crosswire has granted a general public license for.

Glory to God,
-Nick

Technical Appendix
******************
HiFi Bible uses an SQL database backend, the content for which is
generated by scraping and dumping the content of SWORD modules.  The
modules I have put on the demonstration installation are all public
domain (except the KJV2003, which is under a general public license "for
any purpose"), so I see no reason why this should cause any particular
issue.  However, it may be that Crosswire has a problem with the
creation of such conversion tools.  If any Crosswire staff are reading
this and would like to comment on such issues, please do so.  The
conversion tools are not published anywhere on the web at this time,
because I do not want to create any hostility.  The derived SwordSQL
format is not in any way a replacement for the SWORD module format and
represents a decrease in information content from the original SWORD
modules.