[sword-devel] SBLGNT import: OSIS, vanilla XML, or plain text?

Weston Ruter weston at openscriptures.org
Sat Oct 30 11:07:49 MST 2010

Both of the XML formats (sblgnt and OSIS) are better than plain text as the
words are already marked up. But of the two, I think the sblgnt XML version
is probably the best format to use for our uses in the Open Scriptures
models. It marks up puncutation in <suffix> elements (not sure why they're
called "suffix"), whereas the OSIS XML format encodes punctuation in bare
text nodes. It seems like the sblgnt XML format encodes the most
information?

As for a general OSIS importer, the wide variety of OSIS encoding styles I
think would make a general OSIS importer pretty difficult. In fact I think
this is just what the CrossWire guys have already done with their osis2mod
tool. So if we wanted to make a general importer, we should target the SWORD
Module format which is normalized OSIS with a special encoding. This would
probably be a very worthwhile effort.

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Nathan Smith <nathan at nathansmith.me> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Rick Brannan <textgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi Nathan
>>
>> The plain text is one verse per line; perhaps there is some newline
>> encoding issue? It uses \n via C# to get the newlines in.
>>
>> Rick Brannan
>>

> OK, I see that now. I just didn't look carefully enough when I opened up
> the file. :-)
>
> --
> Nathan Smith
> nathan at nathansmith.me