[sword-devel] [mobile-devel] Bishop (Android C++ SWORD)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Oct 27 12:34:36 MST 2010

Thanks Brian,

I am currently of the persuasion that indexed searching is not the way to go on Android. 4 seconds is quite an acceptable speed to wait for a search and no index creation time or versioning headaches. Searches can also be more easily customised.  For example, full text searches (i.e. unindexed searches) in the engine currently support regex and searching on any entryAttribute created by any filter.

There are benefits to indexed searching of course, especially when dealing with searches across a large library of books, but for a simple handheld reader of just a few books, I'm still leaning toward favoring unindexed if the results can be returned in under 7 seconds.

But we support both so it is a matter of use case and preference really.

For example, in my personal study, I typically only search a single Greek text or English text. I very seldom search a commentary or lexicon.  So I might decide to index my 2 frequently searched modules and be willing to wait 10 seconds to brute force search any of my other 200 modules and not have them indexed.  In reality, on my laptop the speeds to brute force are nearly instant anyway.

Thanks for the numbers.  Any thoughts?

Troy