[sword-devel] [mobile-devel] Bishop (Android C++ SWORD)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 20:17:50 MST 2010

Just some notes on the applications overall before I get to
performance testing (I realize this is more proof-of-concept, so I
present these as things which someone who wants to transform this into
a production app might take into account)

Downloading is very slow, even over my 4G connection with is
exceptionally fast for a cell connection (I sustain about 3-5Mbps
downstream from this location over 4G, about 1Mbps over 3G).  Perhaps
a warning to the user that cell networks might be undesirable.  Just
syncing repositories over a moderate (~300Kbps) 3G was painful.  "Hey,
this could be really slow without Wi-Fi" might be good.

Install UI is a bit counter-intuitive.  I poked the KJV four or five
times before I thought of touch-hold for a context menu.  I expected
to be taken to the About screen with the option to install there.
Just my notion of usability. :)

Once I was on the "installed modules" page with KJV, I pushed that a
few times, looking to open it.  I had to click my "back" button to go
back to the original app startup screen which then magically
transformed into my first installed module.

After searching, if I didn't want to actually click a result, I don't
know how to get back to the text display screen.

EVO stock Android 2.2

KJV "God love world" (6)
search time: 4.657 seconds

KJV "God" (3578)
search time: 12.290 seconds

Very similar to your G2 results.  Probably both running the 1 GHz
processor and plenty of RAM to load the module into memory and search
there.

--Greg