[sword-devel] OSIS quote marker attribute type="x-doNotGeneratePunctuation"

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Oct 16 08:14:30 MST 2010

On Oct 15, 2010, at 7:55 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> The XML file generated by
>
> mod2osis WEB > WEB.xml
>
> reads like this for Matt 3:15
>
> <verse osisID="Matt.3.15">But Jesus, answering, said to him, <q n=""
> sID="Matt.3.15.1" type="x-doNotGeneratePunctuation" who="Jesus"/>“Allow it
> now, for this is the fitting way for us to fulfill all righteousness.”<q
> eID="Matt.3.15.1" n=""/> Then he allowed him.</verse>
>
> Observe that the quote marker includes the XML attribute
>
> type="x-doNotGeneratePunctuation"

This is nothing that the SWORD engine recognizes. It is not produced by osis2mod. It may be produced by mod2osis. The suggestion to export via mod2imp, which preserves markup exactly, is a good one as it will show whether it was part of the original markup or not.

The proper way to markup a quote without a quote marker is to set the marker attribute to an empty string,
	<q marker="">...</q>
or
	<q marker="" sID="xxx"/> ... <q marker="" eID="xxx"/>
Which you use depends upon what makes for valid OSIS, but nearly every Bible will need the milestoned versions.

There is no need for x-values.

The transformation to milestones is (was?) needed to prevent the SWORD engine from emitting a quotation mark when seeing a </q>.

To mark the words of Christ, include who="Jesus". It only needs to be on the opening quote.

I think there is (hopefully was) a  problem in the SWORD engine when there is a break in the words of Jesus within a verse.

Osis2mod will mark up quotation marks up separately from the words of Christ, having the WoC being marked within each verse, but the markers only where they occur.

Hope this helps.

In Him,
	DM