[sword-devel] av11n mappings

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 21:34:38 MST 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On 10/3/2010 6:19 PM, Robert Hunt wrote:
>>    4/ Would your program be interested in taking advantage of such XML
>>    lists?
>>    5/ If not, would another format be helpful?
>
> XML is fine; we can make converters. Our interest in using this kind of data
> would be dependent on its utility and its accuracy.

...as well as the license that it is available under.  Collecting and
recording such a massive amount of data and ensuring its accuracy is
almost certainly sufficient work to give the compiler a claim to a
copyright on the alignment data.  Since SWORD is distributed under the
GPLv2 and the front ends are distributed under the GPL and other
similar licenses, the data would need to be in a compatible license to
be used in SWORD and SWORD-based applications.

I don't know all what licenses exist for collections of data and their
compatibilities or incompatibilities with GPL distribution, but
someone around here probably will have a better idea than I.

--Greg