[sword-devel] Config file for thml module

Brian J. Dumont bdumont at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 29 19:34:16 MST 2010

On 11/29/2010 04:48 PM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 11:57 AM, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>> Um, strictly speaking a markup scheme (such as ThML) is divorced from
>> presentational issues. Markup should identify document structure it
>> shouldn't deal with display at all. But then having been a member of
>> IEC/ISO TC1/SC18/WG8 at the time SGML was being standardised I have a very
>> dogmatic view of markup; generalised not procedural. Sadly after all our
>> efforts in WG8 to separate the two things the creators of HTML mixed them
>> up again. Duh!
>
> Of course they did! That is because presentational issues are
> IMPORTANT. No purely structural document can long survive in total
> absence of some way to control the presentation. CSS helps...

Presentation gives context for the content.  Go ahead and look through a
complex table presented as plain-text with footnotes crammed inline and
you'll see that while it may technically put the content on the screen,
it doesn't present the full idea before the reader.

Even looking at html with only basic formatting can do the same.  Compare:

    http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf09.iii.iii.html

to the original.  Start at page 10 here:

    http://books.google.com/books?id=ApMsAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Note that you should be looking at two pages side-by-side.  It is much
easier to grasp the full concept in the original book.

There is a reason why formatting has been important for centuries now.

Brian