[sword-devel] YouVersion application for facebook

Tue Nov 16 04:01:02 MST 2010

On Saturday, November 13, 2010 09:39:10 am Mike Hart wrote:
>  tried YouVersion on my work provided blackberry.
>
> The number one learning I had from it was: Here in America, on
Sunday at
> 11am, no 'net' bible is going to work due to a predictable traffic spike
> overloading servers. Unfortunately, that is the only time 95% of users
want
> it to work.  So, even if the app is polished beyond perfection, a server
> side bible reader is doomed to be perceived as a flop because just
about
> everyone finds it won't work on Sunday. I suspect a similar issue
exists in
> Europe and Asia

I would second that, though I haven't had any issues on Sunday, I've
only had issues with the ESV on Wednesday night. I used the HCSB to
complement my print ESV since the preacher was using HCSB this past
Sunday and it worked without a hitch. But I can agree with caution on
server-side apps and bandwidth. Because, at least with every game I've
run on Facebook (apps that aren't games are usually external apps
that connect other things to my fb account so I'm not as familiar with
their infrastructure) all the back-end stuff is handled by an external
server so we would need to make sure we would have more than
enough bandwidth for extreme loads (I would imagine more than the
famous slashdot effect)